The Schuyler is a 12,000 SF standalone event space located in downtown Washington, DC, adjacent to the Hamilton Hotel. The historic 1929 building looks over Franklin Square Park and is named after socialite and philanthropist Eliza Hamilton, wife to Alexander Hamilton.
As Eliza and her sisters Peggy and Angelica were known for hosting lavish events, the refurbished venue strongly references its historic beginnings. The ballroom’s multicolored terra cotta facade, column structure, and original flooring have been preserved. Other interior elements were renovated to reflect modern event needs, including illuminated columns with adjustable LED strips, artisan arches between existing columns, state-of-the-art felt acoustic panels layered on the Mezzanine level, and first-rate technology. The renovated space is a modern, multilevel, multipurpose event space that can host up to 1,200 people.
In addition to providing project management and cost consulting services, MGAC acted as a local presence for the out-of-town owner during the COVID-19 pandemic. MGAC assisted the owner in expediting the permit application process and resolving several unforeseen conditions, such as decaying or inadequate structural elements and water infiltration issues.
MGAC also served as project manager for the conversion of staff offices and a guest lounge at the Hamilton Hotel into eight additional guestrooms. The build-out was completed to accommodate anticipated increased demand and serve as model rooms for the upcoming planned guestroom renovation.