UK Carbon Reduction Plan
MGAC can demonstrate a comprehensive understanding, practical experience and committed responsibility for environmental sustainability. MGAC’s own environmental, sustainability and carbon emission reduction commitments are encapsulated in our ISO14001 accreditation, Corporate Responsibility Policy and this Carbon Reduction Plan.
These plans include specific initiatives and measures that fall under the following headings;
- Waste management
- Energy usage
- Pollutant reduction
- Ethical sourcing
- Carbon reduction
- Water management
- Local procurement
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- Staff awareness.
We have a commitment to achieve Net Zero Carbon with specific plans for Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions by 2050.
This Carbon Reduction Plan is the first version to be compiled by MGAC and has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standards for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Our carbon reduction aims, and strategies will be set out within our Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance Plan due for issue in Spring 2023 and our carbon emissions for 2022 published in May 2023. Our progress will be externally audited as part of our ISO14001 accreditation.
Baseline Emissions Footprint
Our provisional baseline emissions have been estimated as follows;
Baseline Year: 2021
EMISSIONS TOTAL: 3,442 (tCO2e)
- Scope 1 – 2%
- Scope 2 – 20%
- Scope 3 – 78%
Current Emissions Reporting
Year 1: 2022 emissions:
EMISSIONS TOTAL (tCO2e)
- Scope 1 – Results to be published in May 2023
- Scope 2 – Results to be published in May 2023
- Scope 3 – Results to be published in May 2023
- Total Emissions; Results to be published in May 2023
Emissions Reduction Targets
In order to continue our progress to achieving Net Zero, we have adopted the following carbon reduction targets. We provisionally project that our carbon emissions will decrease over the next five years to a total of 2,755 tCO2e by 2026. This is a target reduction of 20%.
As an organisation our Carbon dioxide emissions emanate from a limited number of sources, namely the servicing and heating/cooling of our offices (all lease properties), travel activities of the firm and its staff and the activities of our suppliers.
In order to achieve our Net Zero targets, we acknowledge that we may have to invest in carbon offsetting projects. We have identified organisations and projects that provide genuine carbon reduction initiatives, but our priority remains to reduce our business’s carbon emissions wherever possible and these carbon offsetting projects will only ever be supplementary to our core plans.
Carbon Reduction Projects
The following management measures and projects have recently been completed or implemented as part of our commitment to environmental sustainability and carbon emission reductions.
- Any major heating / cooling plant / equipment sourced based on efficiency / environmental performance
- Building management systems have been optimized for efficiency and to minimise CO2 and emissions
- Relocation of Birmingham Office to a newly refurbished building which has improved BREEAM rating
- Reduction in office floor space in our London Office
- Encouragement of home working, including changes in terms of Employment
- Car allowance and driving policies including electric car scheme that limit CO2 emissions and fuel consumption
- Encouragement of public transport use and supplementary funding for staff
- Cycle purchase and usage funding and securing grants
- Provision of tax advice and support for staff to encourage sustainable life choices
- Promotion of online meetings whenever possible to reduce / minimise travel
- Deployment of local office resources from our national group in order to minimise travel distances
- All offices use plumbed in water coolers to avoid the need for deliveries of bottled water
- All key suppliers/products selected based on proximity and environmental credentials as well as cost
- Recycling and donation of digital devices, equipment and furniture
- Sponsorship for staff to participate in sustainable organisation / event fundraising
- Roll out of Carbon Reduction workshop, CPD event and data sheets
We continue to obtain data and engage with our supply chain in order to quantify further the specific emission levels and refine our methods of measurement. The carbon emission reduction achieved by these schemes compared to the baseline data will be recorded and reported as part of our annual report in accordance with PPN 06/21.
Declaration and Sign Off
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been completed in accordance with PPN 06/21 and associated guidance and reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans.
Emissions have been reported and recorded in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the GHG Reporting Protocol corporate standard and uses the appropriate Government emission conversion factors for greenhouse gas company reporting.
Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions have been reported in accordance with SECR requirements, and the required subset of Scope 3 emissions have been reported in accordance with the published reporting standard for Carbon Reduction Plans and the Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard.
This Carbon Reduction Plan has been reviewed and signed off by the Directors of MGAC and will be published via our website.
Signed on behalf of MGAC:
Managing Director (UK)