DC Public Schools (DCPS), Thaddeus Stevens School, Early Learning Center, Washington, DC
Originally built in 1868, the then Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School was one of the first schools built solely from public funds for the education of black students in Washington, DC. The four-story masonry structure of approximately 40,000 SF was listed in the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites in 1972. The school last operated as a PK4-6th Grade elementary school before it closed in 2008.
Thaddeus Stevens is centrally located in Washington, DC and in an area with unmet demand for early childhood education. To address this demand, a plan was proposed to open a citywide Early Learning Center (ELC) offering both self-contained and general education/inclusion for PK3 and PK4 programming.
MGAC provided project management services for the new Thaddeus Stevens Early Learning Center. The project included interior fit-out and exterior improvements of the historic building. MGAC’s primary responsibilities included submittal and RFI review, facilitating Owner and contractor meetings, working closely with the Owner to monitor project schedule, and resolving construction design conflict.