General Counsel- Construction Industry
MGAC is a leading construction consultancy with a strong presence in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. We provide comprehensive services in construction management, project development, and advisory services to a diverse clientele. With over 350 employees and growing, we are seeking a General Counsel to help lead our firm’s growth, mitigate our risk, and advise management on the conduct of our business.
This is a full-time position based in Washington, D.C.
Who is our dream candidate?
- Energetic, self-motivated and possesses superior analytical and problem-solving skills. A highly effective communicator and team leader who can see the big picture.
- Has a Juris Doctor (JD) degree and at least five years in corporate law, ideally with experience in the construction industry.
- Competent in business from employment and contract law, to corporate compliance, and financial accounting.
- Preferably has experience in addressing legal issues in multiple, global jurisdictions.
- Able to read and interpret a wide range of design & construction contracts like a boss.
- Someone who is able to travel, as necessary or as situations arise.
- A competent telemark skier who also has a bombproof roll to comfortably paddle Class IV whitewater (obviously not required but it sure would be cool if you did).
What you'll do (and why you'll love it).
- Report to the CEO to provide legal guidance on all issues within the firm's business.
- Manage all external legal counsel interactions and the efficient use of external resources and associated costs.
- Review draft client agreements for acceptability and advise MGAC's proposal teams with guidance in crafting responses.
- Mitigate risk with a strategic, forward-thinking mentality to benefit our clients and firm.
- Review and draft standard forms of agreement for our four service offerings.
- Manage and review inventory for staff, drafted in client and vendor agreements.
- Advise staff on means of protecting our clients’ and MGAC’s interests as construction project issues arise.
- Work with professional staff on the development of proper notices and correspondence on projects to protect our clients and our firm.
- Craft and manage strategy in response to legal challenges on projects, including potential claims, collections, and client disputes.
- Work with MGAC HR to develop compliant policies and procedures, mitigate HR risk in hiring and retention, and manage employment issues in current and potential locales.
- Work with MGAC Finance as we expand into new and different geographies and countries in the establishment and formation of new legal entities (engage with outside counsel as necessary).
- Be curious, engaged, and know when to call for outside counsel, when we can undertake and address issues without outside counsel, and be willing to challenge the status quo.
Why work with us?
- With a healthy 25+ year history in North America (and even longer in UK), we are at an exciting stage of growth as a business. There is palpable energy and momentum across the company that is easy to tap into and be inspired by. The people around you are welcoming and go out of their way to make their support known.
- We are consistent Top Work-Places awardees with a strong employee first culture. Let's chat and we can give you incredible examples of this culture at work.
- MGAC is founded on an entrepreneurial culture, and you will be encouraged to embrace new ways of doing things, to deliver outcomes and positive experiences that regularly exceed client expectations.
- We are a global company, yet we are committed to remaining nimble enough to provide our clients with a level of care that our bigger competitors struggle to achieve.
- Your voice will be heard here, your ideas considered, and your efforts rewarded. Our relatively flat hierarchy means our directors’ doors are always open. We want you to work with us to build on a positive culture, to ensure your ideas and valued contributions (which have helped our clients) are recognized when it comes to reviews and appraisals. You will be truly valued and looked after.
- We support your wellness and promote a healthy blend of work/life balance. We encourage you to take that PTO and offer cutting edge benefits. Top-notch free mental health support services are just the latest to be added to an incredible lineup.
- And last but not least... we're fun. At least we think so. :-D. There isn't a day that goes by where there isn't deep belly laughter heard in the hallways.
Better Benefits, Better Life
We believe employers should empower the whole person, not just the “employee.” Our benefit structure is designed to support all five pillars of overall wellness: Financial, Physical, Emotional, Social, and Professional.
Our comprehensive benefits package
Health, Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance Plans
401(k) Retirement Plan
Basic Life Insurance
Voluntary Life / AD&D Insurance
Short-Term + Long-Term Disability
Paid Parental Leave
Flexible Spending Plans
Cell Phone Reimbursement
Professional Development Support
Mental Health + Wellness Programs
Vacation, Paid Holidays, and Sick Time
Competitive Compensation + Bonuses
Transparency in Coverage
Made available in response to the federal Transparency in Coverage Rule and includes negotiated service rates and out-of-network allowed amounts between health plans and healthcare providers. The machine-readable files are formatted to allow researchers, regulators, and application developers to more easily access and analyze data. Click here for additional information.